Monday, October 14, 2013

Failure is not a person, but only an event.


Today, disappointment was the first word I thought of after seeing the score on my first exam. After studying for days on end I was just wanting to receive a C, no more no less, but to my surprise I was blown away when I saw a F on the computer screen. I just wanted to cry, because that letter defined me as a student. A failure, yet I was far from that. I actually knew the material very well, but that one thing dictated what I supposedly knew, and according to the score it wasn’t much.

It was like a reality check to me that this new chapter in life is not going to be a breeze. And if I want to receive A's now I  have to work ever harder, because those A's I earned in the past is not who I am now. It humbled me in a way. I believe if we wanted to succeed as much as we failed on a day to day basis, this world would be a different place, especially for Christians. I began thinking about how I was so ashamed of this grade, and how that could relate to us, as Christians, when we sinned. What if when we sinned we felt guilty about it? Sadly, in this day and age many of us are numb to our sins, we are conformed to this world and we are repeatedly committing the same sin over and over again. Instead of feeling guilty and being humbled by our mistakes, this world actually has told us to be proud of our sins. The other day a guy told me his record for drinking cans of beer in one nights was 35. And he was not afraid to admit to it either, he acted as though it was a major accomplishment. I wanted to tell him that being proud of this addiction is not how God wants him to live his life, yet the truth is many of us are trapped into this lie. A lot of us are not even aware of this sin that is holding us back from God and everything He wants from us. Whether it be holding grudges against someone or gossiping, we do not realize it is a sin until it`s too late.

What would happen if we were so ashamed of our sins that we truly asked forgiveness from God every time we did something we knew was wrong and actually meant it? How do you believe God would react to us actually taking responsibility of our actions? What if we wanted to succeed for God in everything that we do? What if God was the only reason we stood against the sins of this world?

“When you want to succeed as much as you want to breathe, that's when you will be successful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment